• Truly_happy
    • LapisLazuli77
    • Carninator
    • kong
    • (Admin)Cricket

Elm Creek Zoo

Teotlxixtli

ZooGrammy

Well, actually it is from this site but in And 1's Oceanic pack and not separately like I wish.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teotlxixtli

• Firehawke

• ZooGrammy

• Rinding FT

Well, actually it is from this site but in And 1's Oceanic pack and not separately like I wish.

zoogrammy , here is a kiwi , although it does not say spotted . dont remember where I got it .

You are welcome zoogrammy .

and thanks Fern , I had no clue where I got it . I have my files grouped by catagory , not where they came from . Like a folder for just birds , elephants and etc .

The first shot is the first angle on the great bustards, which are interesting birds to me but the guests seem to leave them alone. At least overcrowding isn't a problem.

post-97513-135992351127_thumb.jpg

The second shot is another angle on the great bustards, which shows them flying, which is a cool animation. Well done, whoever designed these birds. I think it was And1, but I don't recall.

post-97513-135992356222_thumb.jpg

The third shot of the great bustards shows the path that leads to the next exhibit I'll show you as well as back around to the restaurant.

post-97513-135992358029_thumb.jpg

The fourth shot shows more of the restaurant and path outside the great bustard exhibit. Although this exhibit ended up being square and uninspired, I think it worked because of its proximity to the water and the general shape of the shore. Coming up next is the neighboring exhibit, the takahes, which you can see a bit of in the next shot, and the path to the more interesting exhibits.

post-97513-135992359231_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading and happy Superbowl Sunday! More shots will be coming soon.

More wonderful pics! I love the bright colors of the buildings against the foliage...can't wait to see more!

Wow, love this. This zoo is so well thought out! Great use of foliage and lay out.

Some more shots today, but I won't be able to post for a few days after this because I'm going to a drum corps camp and if anyone knows anything about marching band, it is an all-encompassing activity.

The first shot is of the takahes, who aren't visited much by the guests but I like myself because of their color. They're one of the more exotic animals thus far in the zoo. When I designed the trees around their path, the zookeeper would go around the foliage (even in the absence of a path) and then I'd get mail claiming he was "having a hard time getting to the Takahe Exhibit". I don't put up with that, so I locked him in the exhibit with a big rock.

post-97513-13603654078_thumb.jpg

The second shot is of the badgers, who got a little alcove amid the trees. The trees dictated the shape of their exhibit, in another attempt of mine to avoid straight edges, but I ended up getting the opposite effect. This shot also shows the aviary, which gets plenty of guests and keeps the badgers from feeling overcrowded. I think placement of attractions is probably one of the more important decisions I make when designing a zoo, because if done incorrectly, you can make animals feel overcrowded or the guests can't get to it or the zookeepers can't get to exhibits ad nauseum. Do you guys agree?

post-97513-136036541862_thumb.jpg

My game calls these animals "Chinese lesser pandas" which infers that they are less than real pandas, but the guests would say otherwise. Until I constructed a food court on the other side of the trees this was the most crowded section in the entire zoo, and crowd control was ridiculous. Thankfully everything turned out okay and I got a decent exhibit out of it. Tidbit: the nearby Pony Ride is the only building in the zoo without a red roof.

post-97513-136036542829_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading! More shots will be coming soon.

When I designed the trees around their path, the zookeeper would go around the foliage (even in the absence of a path) and then I'd get mail claiming he was "having a hard time getting to the Takahe Exhibit". I don't put up with that, so I locked him in the exhibit with a big rock.

Don't lock them in the exhibit because they will not clean it. The keeper needs to be able to leave to reset his work list. So make a one or 2 tile area outside the gate and block him so he can only go in and out but not elsewhere.