Vondell's Current Projects

Vondell

Vondell

Very true pukkie! I want to make sure all my downloads work perfectly, and that is a multi-step process that involves multiple people testing, who all have to work around their own schedules! But the end result should be downloads that work as well as they possibly can, which is a good tradeoff as far as I'm concerned.

Working on some road paint scenery pieces that I'm hoping we can push through so that they can see some use in the Route 66 contest.

roads.jpg

(this is just the white single line piece. also in the works are a yellow single line, and both white and yellow double line.

I'm not sure if there's any way for me to make it so that guests can walk on top of them, since they aren't a path and setting walkable=1 would make the lines show up above the guests, which means that unfortunately, guests won't be able to cross a solid line. But they only take up half a tile instead of the two tiles that the developer menu take up, so at least they can walk beside them, and if you break up the lines, guests can cross through.

I think one way to do it is to cheat with the offsets. If it uses 1/4th of a tile (let's say, the bottom 1/4th of a square), you'd need to fix the rotation so that it does not cover the bottom tile, but the top tile. A visual cheat, and a bit weird to place though. The problem might be having it work in different directions. It's difficult to explain, but it's a similar trick I use for my shows for regular animals., and there I need 4 objects to make 1 appear properly.

Vondell

Hmm, maybe if it was something that people would only use once or twice in a zoo in a really specific place, then I wouldn't mind cheating a little bit visually. But these, you know, in a big zoo these could be placed 50 or 100 times or more. And they're already a little non-intuitive as it is, riding on the edge of half-tiles instead of in the middle.

EDIT:

post-9648-0-25224500-1423139244_thumb.jpg

There we go!

ZooGrammy

So could guests walk across those streets? It has always been a pain to come up with some path across a street that looks realistic.

Vondell

The whole streets are paths, so it may be hard to corral guests into any particular place along them unless you use fences (visible or invisible).

Unfortunately the stripes take up the amount of space as a half-tile flowerbed, so if you put them all together to form a crosswalk look, you'll actually make it impossible for guests to cross at that spot. Not sure there's anything I can do about that since, if I make them walkable, guests would appear below them instead of walking on top of them. So the ability to make crosswalks, for now, is just decorative. The guests will walk anywhere else on the road, though, since it's just a Paved Path.

Vondell

That's out of my hands at the moment! It's still being tested, and the testing crew is working on plenty of other things too. I'm just as excited as you are, but I also have about as much to do with the progress as you do, at this point :P All in good time.

I've been away for a few days, and while I haven't been directly working on any mod projects, I've been building a texturable bird wing rig that I'm sure I'll be using for ZT projects down the line.

tumblr_njkcgafnHK1s4493xo1_500.gif

I'm hoping I can also tweak it for use on some feathered maniraptorans (birdlike theropod dinosaurs, velociraptor and crew).

I love that tortoise man, can't wait for it to be available for download.

And I can definitely see that wing being useful for terror birds and the like, flapping their tiny wings angrily at staring zoo guests. :P