Vondell's Current Projects

Vondell

Vondell

4-piece modular steel truss bridge coming along very smoothly! More smoothly than I expected, haha!

preview2.jpg

preview.jpg

I need to configure the side piece as a fence instead of a scenery object, so it can occupy the inside of the same tile as the top piece, or else you won't be able to use it on raised terrain, which is going to be part of the package. But a nice plus side to using it flat is that you can line the inside with whatever handrail fence you want! There will be a lot of ways to use this.

Here's an idea of how it will look raised, although it's lacking the top pieces, and the faux bridge supports I'm planning to make and include:

preview3.jpg

Hey, does anyone know the secret to configuring a scenery item like a fence, but having it still appear in the scenery tab? I wouldn't have given much thought to that except one of the developer item packs I downloaded for the zoo contest (before we switched over to the developer menu) put the zoo walls in the scenery tab and it piqued my interest.

I would have to check the game, but the position of where it appears in a menu, is one of the first things you'll see... I think the line which reads "fences", should just be "scenery".

The type of building is not determined by the .AI-file (or whatever you name it, so not the object file), but the "fencesXX.cfg" file - a configuration file defining your type.

Vondell

I've got them working as regular fences, at least, so far. They use the ingame IDs from the iron bar fence, like a bunch of other fence downloads do, which is something I'd ideally want to change at some point. But, either way, the bridge is now fully operable the way it's meant to be! Supports up next.

preview4.jpg

Vondell

Little WIP preview of the concrete supports & faux water tiles. They're just "stickers" that fit snugly to terrain cliffs, but I think they do a pretty good job at making the illusion work!

preview5.jpg

Update: instead of concrete, I think I'm going with a weathered brick type of material instead. Fits more with the bridge's character, I think, although nobody says the supports have to just be used for this one bridge.

preview6.jpg

Vondell

I couldn't say exactly, but it makes sense to me that animals, especially completely new ones, would have a longer testing period than simple scenery and things like that. I know everybody's excited to play with it though!

Savannahjan

Just now catching up on this thread. The bird wing is fabulous, it's going to be a great tool, very clever. And the steel bridge is great, it looks so realistic.

It is so thrilling that almost 15 years, there are brilliant young designers re-inventing the ZT wheel. I'm honored to have stuck around this community long enough to see this renewed interest.

Cricket

I agree! It's quite exciting :yahoo: Especially with new animals coming. That's one category that I will probably never delve into. It's always exciting seeing new ones being made :)