Vondell's Current Projects

Vondell

Professor Paul

We are woefully short of small mammals! You could use similar graphics, or perhaps even just a recolour for a ringtail or a cacomistle.

We're still tweaking a few things, but it's really fun to see this animal in ZT1!

I agree with you, Professor Paul. Small animals are a really nice addition. And this one especially adds a very new feel to a classic game. But it should be fairly balanced. Aren't cacomistles smaller than a Red Panda? I think Vondell tried to get the height/width more or less accurate compared to other animals/zoo keeper etc. But I do think, if an even smaller animal is created, it might simply become *too* small.

Professor Paul

The head and body length of a red panda measures 50 to 64 cm and its tail is 28 to 59 cm (11 to 23 in). Males weigh 3.7 to 6.2 kg (8.2 to 13.7 lb) and females 3 to 6.0 kg (6.6 to 13.2 lb).The cacomistle's body is 38–47 cm in length, which is attached to a tail of approximately the same length, if not longer (typically 39–53 cm long). The male cacomistle is often slightly longer than its female counterpart, however both male and female have approximately the same weight, usually between 1 and 1.5 kg. The ringtail is of a similar size.Raccoons, however, are closer in size to red pandas so they should be feasible.

If you were looking at similar size species for future projects martens, badgers & civets or genets would be good as well

Savannahjan

Love seeing this come to be!

Did we mention that this animal will have a new sound/cry/squeak as well? ;)

I just sent Vondell a slightly updated version (we still had to work on a plaque, I also wrote a draft version for the animal info).

• 4 weeks later...

The Red Panda looks beautiful ingame! So nice to see it in action and it's cool to see your collaboration with JBL.

Vondell

thanks you two! i'll be working on an info tab plaque for it shortly, and JBL should have it prepped for submission shortly afterward. :) i'm excited for yall to be able to play with it.

hey, open question, just because i'm curious: if you had to think of a living land animal you'd like to see in ZT1 that has a body shape too unlike any ingame animal to be made with recolors, what would you think of? sometimes i think about what a large bird might be like with fleshed out animations. like a shoebill stork or something.

i'm thinking Blue Fang has large unique mammals pretty much covered. medium-ish ones, i can think of some. i had been wanting to maybe try gibbons, but that'd sign me up for a lot of climbing-object-related complex animation work. large reptiles, as far as body shapes go, you've got your crocodilians and monitors, those can get by with recolors of the juvenile saltwater croc/komodo. snakes are pretty difficult because of the way animals are animated in ZT. that leaves tortoises -- got that covered now!

then of course there's lots of extinct animals of all stripes i'd like to take a shot at ... if only i could pause the rest of my life now and then.really i'm happy just to be able to contribute what i can. i can't think of a community i'd be happier to make custom content for. i know it's appreciated! and i appreciate you back!

What animal would I want? I'd want a dairy cow. :)

(Yes, I sometimes prefer a quaint farm over a zoo. It brings me back to my childhood spent in rural Illinois.)