Particle's Projects

Particle

Particle

Some previews of modular maintenance buildings (with colorswap) I'm working on:

maintainance01.jpg

This one (below) I set up as an observation area, so everyone would walk under it, which works fine.

maintainance02.jpg

So if we just wanted a big pavilion this would work ok, but I wanted to put objects under it...

maintainance03.jpg.9c91ccd7bd44294c87b7613625b1c036.jpg

There is the trick to set the footprint to 1x1, and so I messed with that and sort of got the rotations right, (that is what you see in the picture above) but there are issues when you rotate the worldview where parts of the building do not show up right.  Tonight I'm going to try chopping this up into smaller pieces, to see if I can make it more of a modular piece instead of one big one, and start again from there.  (Sort of like the birdcage).  Not sure how well that will work, but every experiment like this brings more knowledge... which for me is still the primary goal.  Obviously once again, I'm not the first to play with this sort of thing, but I'm hoping to figure out every trick there is to know.  My back up plan in case I can't get this to function entirely the way I want, is to just put some scenery under the roof, like a maintenance vehicle, some boxes and crates, and a few barrels or something.  Either way, this has been a fun experiment with large observation areas already.

• Love 3

YoungerPrinceLothric

I actually took some screenshots of those colorswap items in my game the other day. Ill post them the next time I'm at my computer.

• Like 1

Particle

Thanks!  These are meant to be steel buildings by the way, there will be also be concrete buildings and possibly wooden structures too, eventually... with the concrete set leaning more towards exhibit functionality, and the wooden set being more for park and rec type stuff.  But essentially, all modular sets with colorswap, meant to blend into the zoo as scenery, but also give a little more realism and lots of customization.  I'd like to play with adding these to research somehow eventually, to maybe have them provide bonuses to staff, but for right now, they'll just be for fun.

Sometime this weekend I will try to get the colorswap pack ready, since it is done I think... also I have to get to fences soon... and I want to play with these buildings, and also... I want to finish my fancier buildings, and try making custom palettes.  Hmm.  What to do first.  Maybe... watch cute videos of Koalas!

• Love 1

Particle

THese things II'm still messing with, although you can see here, they fit together perfectly, they don't fit the building right, They are slightly too tall at the apex and just too big overall... so I'm going to redo them one more time to fit better.  Still, they are kind of fun and have given me some interesting ideas:

maintainance05.jpg

I tried setting them up as 1x1 footprints, that is what you see here, but in the end, that always leads to issues with the draw layer, so I'll probably just stick to doing these as observation areas instead.

• Like 1

Vondell

Those service buildings are gorgeous -- the prospect of fully recolorable buildings is really exciting. Really top notch stuff. They look great.

Since this is my first time replying to this thread I also just want to reiterate that pretty much everything else you're doing is awesome too.

• Love 1

Particle

These observation areas took forever to get right, but I'm very happy now, they fit together perfectly, and also look good with the box building:

maintainance06.jpg.c78d33bfa4bc51e1ce135ae427625804.jpg

Working on 2 more pieces today... Maintenance workers are going to be very happy in my zoos!

• Love 4