Particle's Projects

Particle

Particle

I just wanted to say real quickly that all the savyket stuff that just was released is so fun and I love it!  Great job girls!

This is what I made last night, took me about 4 hours:

zootek01.jpg.99fe95f93afb263d659418c4b61f904d.jpg

That pesky witch just happened to fly through my screenshot!

So what I will use these for is when I start a new building I can do this:

zootek02.jpg.0bb359e6f660c1bf93622e55e33431f6.jpg

I use the white utility path (which I think is by genki, you can also use the utility paths by zz/cricket) to get this basic look for all 4 views, and then I screenshot it and put it into my pixel manipulation program.  Also I can use these for testing out what sort of shapes work good together in my sets going forward... so although it took a few hours, hopefully it will be worth it in the end.  Everything you see so far is square shaped obviously, so at some point I want to try to add some circular shapes, but I'm pretty bored with this right now, so on to the next thing I go.  I figured out what size building I want to finish out this set so I'm going to work on that one today.

• Love 2

YoungerPrinceLothric

Does this mean I can use those to spell bad words? 😁

• Haha 2

Particle
Just now, YoungerPrinceLothric said:

Does this mean I can use those to spell bad words? 😁

Yes, and you can also play tetris or qbert:

zootek03.jpg.8ad407851158a9355bb768f31d0c4f39.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cricket

Particle, I love the "building block" pieces you've come up with!  Wow, think of the possibilities! 

If you are interested in some configured doors for these, let me know what style you would like and I'll see what I can find!

Btw I love Tetris and QBert :D 

YoungerPrinceLothric

The witch was flying across my game last night too! I think its so cute how the game can tell we're playing it right before Halloween because she was popping up in my view the whole time.

• Love 1

I have a really old Gameboy & the only game I own for it is Tetris.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Particle

I've been thinking about the possibilities for awhile now of doing something like this, as a resource for designers, but in the back of my mind I kept thinking that it would unlock even more ideas that I couldn't even imagine until I'd built the set, and was actually playing with it.  So eventually it just overwhelmed me that it should get done, even if it took a chunk of my time away.  Sometimes these unsexy things end up being far more productive than any sexy thing you can do.  But you never really know until you try it.  So if this proves to be useful I will probably release it here for anyone else who wants it.  For now though, I need to add a few more pieces.

Now regarding configured doors:  After you mentioned to me recently that you wanted to do more configured doors, I really started thinking about everything as a possible configured door.  I would love to make a whole set of configured doors for my building sets.  If so then I'd hope to have really fun artwork for this.  For example, we were talking about a configured door for an arcade, and afterwards as I brainstormed that out, I imagined a door that appeared open, because most penny arcades don't have a "door" that opens and closes, just an open entrance, and that inside you could see some people playing games, or animations of people walking around or flashing lights or whatever fits that particular door.  Sort of like this (please pardon my 2 second mockup):

zootek04.jpg.3d4bc10a10cab81d0e0fb8cf36c924a5.jpg

Maybe another example would be a club or disco or roller skating rink, with a door that stands open, and you can see the lights flashing inside like a lightshow is going on.  There are a lot of fun possibilities.  I think that you can also do "on use" animations, like you can for any building, so that maybe you could have doors open and close also, or other animations that happen when guests enter the building.

Anyhow, that is sort of just a left turn to what you were saying, but I'm just trying to get some ideas flowing because I really want to do everything as a configured door going forwards.  This goes hand in hand with a modular set, and also with what heatherL was asking about earlier, which was how much customization can we give these buildings?

And as far as actual door ideas, I've been looking at lists of rides at places like disneyland for inspiration, but I'm also trying to imagine things that will work on basic buildings like the ones I'm making so, I'll see if I can make a little list for discussion.  If anyone has any ideas for configured doors please share them with us, because Cricket and I would love to hear them!

• Love 3

Particle
10 minutes ago, HeatherL said:

I have a really old Gameboy & the only game I own for it is Tetris.

See I knew you were hardcore.  :)

• Haha 1

Particle
1 hour ago, YoungerPrinceLothric said:

The witch was flying across my game last night too! I think its so cute how the game can tell we're playing it right before Halloween because she was popping up in my view the whole time.

They're all over the place!  It's like a herd, or a swarm... or maybe a colony.

Hmm... this could be fun:

zootek05.jpg

zootek06.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2