Particle's Projects

Particle

That is a beautiful metal roof. 

Would it be possible down the road to release a "build your own building" pack-roof pieces, walls with windows, etc?  Possibly also in color swap?

Particle
18 minutes ago, HeatherL said:

That is a beautiful metal roof. 

Would it be possible down the road to release a "build your own building" pack-roof pieces, walls with windows, etc?  Possibly also in color swap?

That is an interesting question.  Basically the main problem is zoo tycoon doesn't allow you to build up so you can't stack a roof on a building without some serious trickery.  So building your own building is sort of what I'm trying to do, but I don't think I can give you different roofs for different buildings.  What I'm going to be doing here is to make a set of buildings that are metal, concrete, and wood, but in the end, they will all fit together, and with the colorswap, you can make them all match eachother so say you may want to use this metal observation area with the concrete buildings also, that is going to work just fine and look good in the end, I hope.   And every set I make afterwards, hopefully, the same thing, they all fit together. That is a lot of customization, having different building shapes and colors that all fit together.  There is one little thing I can do to switch the look up and that is to have different walls that you can stick on over the default building walls to give different looks.  But I'd rather not use that idea because it doesn't seem as user friendly as just placing the building blocks and also it will take up space to place them... still I might use it to make some bigger doors, like large garage doors, that could go over the default building walls.  But since I haven't really set that up at all yet, I'm not going to make any promises.  Lets just say if I can get you some customization I'm going to do it, but not at the expense of having millions of little pieces that are hard to place.  There's some sort of simple balance in there, that is what I'm hoping to find.

Also there will be smaller scenery pieces to go with this set... for placing around the buildings.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

YoungerPrinceLothric

Will those orange curved roof/observation pieces also be colorswappable? Apologies if you've already mentioned it in the thread.

21 hours ago, Particle said:

I almost forgot about these, I did these 2 nights ago, not sure what I'm going to use them for yet, but they turned out interesting:

solarpanels03.jpg.c70402928d555472074c38a5c9abfd52.jpg

I had a similar idea for "green" energy (including windmills) for an expansion pack. It could be unlocked after costly research; but then provide an income or sth. :)

Particle
4 hours ago, YoungerPrinceLothric said:

Will those orange curved roof/observation pieces also be colorswappable? Apologies if you've already mentioned it in the thread.

Yes, they are colorswap, they are actually the only finished piece now, but they look real good as they are:

maint03.jpg.1df663e093cb3dd7d15af6adf3a601b3.jpg

Now I really like my roof situation.  3 different roofs that all fit together.  Going to work on making those big black towers arches or observation areas.  Also I feel like I need a round building, like a silo or something.  Hmm...

• Love 2

YoungerPrinceLothric

I second the silo idea! It would look great next to farm-type animal exhibits, or horses like the przewalski.

• Like 1

Particle
2 hours ago, jbl89 said:

I had a similar idea for "green" energy (including windmills) for an expansion pack. It could be unlocked after costly research; but then provide an income or sth. :)

Yes I remember our conversation about this, and for about a year now I've been thinking of how to implement something like this.  What I don't think makes sense is to have solar panels and wind turbines all over the zoo.  I'd say that would be kind of ugly.  I think in the end it is better to unlock like one building, that we might call something like "solar power processing plant" or "wind turbine power plant" or "bio-fuel processing center", etc.  If I do it like that, then I could use the graphics I did for the solar building, but in such a way that you mostly just see the front of the panels, because they'd be in front of a building like this (apologies for this primitive screenshot but it will do to give the idea):

solarpanels04.jpg

Meanwhile I think we can still add some solar panel graphics to buildings or other scenery for flavor, at any time, without having to have an elaborate green energy setup, just to give a more modern look to the buildings, like caddie said.

40 minutes ago, YoungerPrinceLothric said:

I second the silo idea! It would look great next to farm-type animal exhibits, or horses like the przewalski.

Yeah the whole thing is starting to look very barn like, especially if we do the right colorswaps... that was not intended but a nice little accident.

• Like 1

Particle

I thought these would be the right size, because they were so much smaller than the water tower, but looking at them like this, I think they're still too big, so going to try to make them about 20% smaller I think?  Like about the same height as that big building.

maint04.jpg.a0759ed5cbd28df2214e36e0a8221d75.jpg

Not bad though for my first silo...  I used textures from 3d silos to build the tank, and then did the frame by hand.

• Like 2

I like the silos. Can we see them next to an in-game building to get a better idea of size?  I can't remember the last time I used the water tower, so the size comparison doesn't help me.